Washington Chapter Officers for 2017 -2018
June 16, 2017
|Krystyna Kolesar ||President|| |
|703-697-1805 ||1 July 17 - 30 Jun 18 |
|Robin Farley||President - Elect|
|703-614-0067||1 July 17 - 30 Jun 18|
|703-545-9316 ||1 July 17 - 30 Jun 18|
|Steven Birk||Treasurer|| |
|703-693-7336||1 Oct 16 - 30 Jun 18 |
|Gregory Little ||DOD Vice Presidentemail@example.com ||703-614-7496 ||1 July 17 - 30 Jun 19 |
|TBD||DOD Assistant Secretary||1 July 17 - 30 Jun 18 |
|Nicole McClenic ||Army Vice Presidentfirstname.lastname@example.org ||1 July 17 - 30 Jun 19 |
|Hairo Ortiz||Army Assistant Secretary||703-692-7868||1 July 15 - 30 Jun 17|
|Jane Roberts ||Navy Vice President|| |
|1 July 17 - 30 Jun 19 |
|Veronica Trent-Walton||Navy Assistant Secretaryemail@example.com||703-695-2913||1 July 16 - 30 Jun 18 |
|Jonathan R Newell||USMC Vice President||571-256-8740||1 July 17 - 30 Jun 19 |
|Astrid Diaz||USMC Assistant Secretary||703-614-3435||1 July 16 - 30 Jun 18|
|Benjamin J Yarish||Air Force Vice President||703-695-4442||1 July 17 - 30 Jun 19|
|Patricia "Pat" Corey ||Air Force Assistant Secretary|| |
|1 July 17 - 30 Jun 18 |
|LT Mark Sanchez||USCG Vice Presidentfirstname.lastname@example.org||202-475-5450||1 July 17 - 30 Jun 19 |
|Stella Whitsell ||USCG Assistant Secretary|| |
|202-372-3647 ||1 July 17 - 30 Jun 18 |
|Debra Delmar||Corporate/Retired Vice Presidentemail@example.com||703-593-6667||1 July 17 - 30 Jun 19|
|Rita Finney||Corporate/Retired Assistant Secretaryfirstname.lastname@example.org||301-938-8198||1 July 16 - 30 Jun 18 |
|Training and Education|
|Chair: Terry Placek and Millie Thompson|
|Training and Education Members:|
|Dick Reed ||CDFM|| |
|Wendy Pouliot||Awards/Essay Chairemail@example.com||703-697-0156|
|Jessica McClain||Scholarship Chair|
|Milford E. Thompson||Luncheonfirstname.lastname@example.org||202-685-1524|
|Terry Placek||Training & Educationemail@example.com||703-599-4514|
|Jennifer Miller ||Luncheon Liaison/Host ||firstname.lastname@example.org |
|Chair: Deb DelMar|
|Vacant||PDI Silent Auction/Raffle||Vacant|
|Deb Del Mar||Regional PDIemail@example.com||703-593-6667|
|Outreach and Publicity|
|Chair: Wayne Whiten and Jeff Norris|
|Outreach and Publicity Members:|
|Jeff Norris||Community Servicefirstname.lastname@example.org||202-533-4024|
|Michael Monson||Newsletter Managing Editor||571-481-4901 x202|
|Chair: David Zavada||Audit Chair||703-931-5600|
|Chair: Krystyna Kolesar|
|Gregory Little ||DOD VPemail@example.com ||703-614-7496 |
|Nicole McClenic ||Army VPfirstname.lastname@example.org |
|Jane Roberts ||Navy VP||Jane.Roberts@navy.mil |
|Jonathan R Newell||USMC VPemail@example.com||571-256-8740|
|Benjamin J Yarish||Air Force VP||703-695-4442|
|LT Sanchez||USCG VPfirstname.lastname@example.org||202-475-5450|
|Deb Delmar||Corporate/Retired VPemail@example.com||703-593-6667|
PRESIDENT - Krystyna M. Kolesar
Ms. Kolesar was selected to the Senior Executive Service in November 2003. She brings experience working for the U.S. Navy and the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Since February 2013, she has served as the Deputy Director, Program Analysis and Evaluation Directorate, Headquarters Department of the Army, Deputy Chief of Staff, G-8. Her broad responsibilities cover the full breath of all Army program efforts and involve independent analysis, development, integration, reporting, and defense of the Army Future Years Defense Program. She is instrumental in aligning Army’s programs and funding to support strategic priorities, transformation objectives and urgent operational needs of the Army and the Department of Defense.
· Nov 2003 – Feb 2013 Director, Force and Infrastructure Analysis Division, Office of the
Secretary of Defense, Cost Assessment and Program Evaluation, Washington, DC. Analyzed readiness, supply chain management, installations, energy, and depot
maintenance issues. Assessed global posture with a focus on the Asia-Pacific region. Developed and implemented tools and methodologies to determine the effective allocation of resources, specifically the Department of Defense’s $200 billion Operations and Maintenance accounts. Reviewed major weapon systems focusing on Operating and Support cost issues.
· Apr 1998 - Nov 2003 -Operations Research Analyst, Force & Infrastructure Cost Analysis, Office of Secretary of Defense, Program Analysis & Evaluation. Prepared independent life cycle cost (LCC) analyses on major weapon systems for the Cost Analysis Improvement Group (CAIG) (e.g., Future Aircraft Carrier Program, Comanche Helicopter (RAH-66)). Analyze $100B Operations and Maintenance accounts for all Services. Served as US team lead on Partnership-for-Peace (PfP) Defense Resource
Management Studies (DRMS) to Uzbekistan.
· Sep 1997 - Apr 1998 -US Exchange Officer, Department of Defence, Canberra, Australia. Conducted an assessment of the initial investment costs to the associated upgrade costs for major capital equipment for the Australian Department of Defence.
· Oct 1994 - Sep 1997 -Operations Research Analyst, Economic and Manpower Analysis, Office of Secretary of Defense, Program Analysis & Evaluation. Prepared independent LCC analyses for the CAIG (e.g., Navy Area Theatre Ballistic Missile Defense, Joint Primary Aircraft Trainer). Conducted DoD review of Defense Agencies and DoD Field Activities. Served as US team lead on PfP DRMS to Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia.
· Mar 1993 - Oct 1994 -Supervisory Section Head, Aircraft Carriers & Sub Combat Sys, Naval Sea Systems Command 017 (NAVSEA017), Department of the Navy. Managed cost engineering team to produce cost estimates for the Aircraft Carriers new construction and refueling complex overhaul. Assessed the $5B CVN-76 contract for approval.
· Aug 1992 - Feb 1993 -International Agreements Specialist, Navy International Project Office, Department of the Navy. Negotiated Memorandums of Understanding with US allies (e.g., UK, France, Sweden, and Australia).
· Jul 1987 - Aug 1992 -Cost Engineer, SEA017, Department of the Navy. Developed cost estimates and budgets (e.g., US/UK Surface Ship Torpedo Defense and US/UK Advanced Sea Mine program).
· Master in Business Administration, University of George Washington, Washington, DC.
· Bachelor of Science, Engineering, Cum Laude, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
· Economics coursework at University College, Oxford University in England.
· “Program on Negotiation for Senior Executives” from Harvard Law School
· Department of the Navy, Supervisory Excellence Program
· Department of the Navy, Cost Analysis Intern Program
· “Technology, Operation and Value Chain Management” from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Sloan School of Management.
· “Program for Senior Executives in National and International Security” from John F.
Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University.
· “Seminar XXI: International Relations, Foreign Politics, and the U.S. National Interest”
from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for International Studies.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
· Secretary of Defense Medal for Meritorious Civilian Service (Bronze Palm), April 2013.
· Secretary of Defense Medal for Meritorious Civilian Service, April 2008.
· Office of the Secretary of Defense Medal for Exceptional Civilian Service, May 2007.
PRESIDENT ELECT - Robin Farley
SECRETARY - Ms. Cynthia Cooks
In her current assignment she provides a broad range of financial support and administration services to senior officials and customers for 27 agencies and HQDA. Responsible for developing, interpreting, and disseminating policies and regulations related to overall programs and activities serviced by Resource Services-Washington. Within a broad framework, exercise professional judgment and interpret policies, which include Army policies and procedures governing payroll operations, Government Travel Card Program, Defense Travel System for the operating agency, Government Purchase Card Program, and Finance career developmental training support.
Chief, Financial Management Division, HQDA, OAA, Resource Services-Washington
Sr Financial Analyst for Civilian Pay, HQDA, Army Budget Office
Team Leader/Sr Financial Management Analyst, HQDA, Army Budget Office
Team Leader/Program Analyst, HQDA, AG-1 for Civilian Personnel
Resource Analyst, HQDA, AG-1 for Civilian Personnel
Financial Analyst, US Army
MSM, Financial Management, University of Maryland University College (anticipated graduation December 2015)
BS, Business Administration, Excelsior College
AWARDS AND HONORS:
Performance Recognition Award
ASMC Award: Outstanding Resource Management Team (above ACOM)
Meritorious Service Medal
Army Commendation Medals
Army Achievement Medals
National Defense Service Medal
Army Service Ribbons
Overseas Service Ribbons
American Society of Military Comptrollers
TREASURER - Mr. Steven Birk
Mr. Steven Birk is currently a Senior Budget Analyst within the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller). Mr. Birk has 27 years of DoD Financial Management experience where he worked for the Army, Navy, DISA, and OSD Comptroller as a Resource Management Officer, Budget Officer, Accounting Officer, Systems Accountant and Staff Accountant. Throughout his career he has worked on most general fund appropriations and in the working capital fund. Mr. Birk has a Master of Business Administration and is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM-A), Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM), and Defense Certified Financial Manager (DCFM Level III).
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE – Mr. Gregory Little
ARMY – Ms. Nicole McClenic
NAVY – Ms. Jane Roberts
AIR FORCE – Benjamin J Yarish
MARINE CORPS – Mr. Jonathan R. Newell
COAST GUARD – Lieutenant Mark M. Sanchez, CDFM-A, CGFM, PMP
Lieutenant (LT) Mark Sanchez has been serving on active duty with the United States Coast Guard for over 18 years and is currently assigned as the Deployment Manager for the Financial Management Services Improvement Initiative at Coast Guard Headquarters in Washington, D.C. A Department of Homeland Security Level II special interest acquisition, he oversees all activities related to the development and implementation of financial management, procurement, and asset management training for 15,000 users in preparation of the Coast Guard’s transition to a Federal Shared Service provider. LT Sanchez enlisted into the Coast Guard in June of 1998 immediately following his high school graduation. A native of Albuquerque, NM, his career highlights include:
· Lead Purchasing Agent: Conducted acquisition related activities for 12 Coast Guard sub units in the Southwestern Alaska region totaling over $1M annually.
· Base Kodiak Warehouse Manager: Responsible for the distribution, tracking, and disposal of equipment and capitalized assets totaling over $20M.
· Supply Officer: Administered all financial aspects of Coast Guard LORAN Station Las Cruces, NM including the management of a $65K annual operating budget and over $800,000 in electronic aids to navigation assets.
· Recruit Company Commander: Successfully led over 500 newly enlisted recruits through rigorous 53-day boot camp training program.
· Chief, Facilities and Containers Branch: Administered the Coast Guard Compliance Inspection Program for the Pennsylvania/Delaware/New Jersey region to include the planning and execution of multi-agency strike force operations with federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies.
· Out-Year Budget and Finance Manager: Directed all activities related to the formulation and execution of $134M annual Coast Guard Reserve Training Appropriation.
· Graduate: Coast Guard Officer Candidate School Class 1-09
· Author of two professional articles published in the Armed Forces Comptroller Journal and Reservist Magazine.
LT Sanchez resides in Alexandria, VA with his wife and young son. He serves as the Coast Guard Vice President of the Washington, D.C. chapter of the American Society of Military Comptrollers and is a sitting member of the Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Board of Control. LT Sanchez has received numerous honors and awards for his dedicated service, including two Coast Guard Commendation Medals, three Coast Guard Achievement Medals, and a Commandants Letter of Commendation. He holds a B.A. in Political Science and a Masters Degree in Public Administration (MPA) from American Military University. He is a Certified Defense Financial Manager with Acquisitions Specialty (CDFM-A), Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM), and Project Management Professional (PMP).
CORPORATE / RETIRED – Ms. Deb Del Mar
Debra S. Del Mar, is Co-Founder of Vanguard Advisors, LLC, a small, woman-owned business based in Northern Virginia. Vanguard Advisors serves an elite group of industry firms who support government objectives of improving performance and readiness in the areas of financial management and business transformation. As managing partner, Ms. Del Mar provides thought-leadership, in-depth experience, and proven business strategies that enable clients to realize impressive growth through the achievement of rapid results, operational effectiveness, and ROI for their government customers.
Previously at American Management Systems, Inc. (AMS), Debra’s leader-ship positions included Vice President/General Manager for Defense Financial Solutions and Vice President of Business Strategy for Defense & Intel Division. A member of ASMC since 1985, Ms DelMar has been both the Corporate/Retired Vice President for the ASMC Washington Chapter & the National Capital Region PDI Chair since 2006.
Other professional affiliations include:
Association of Government Accountants (AGA)
Association of the U.S. Army (AUSA)
AFCEA • Women in Technology
National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA)
She earned an MBA in Science & Technology Innovation from George Washington University and a BS in Chemistry from The College of William and Mary.
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE – TBD
ARMY – Hairo Ortiz
NAVY – Ms. Veronica Trent
Ms. Veronica Trent is a Senior Budget Analyst for the Department of the Navy, serving as a Senior Financial Analyst for Field Support Activity (FSA). She’s responsible for over $500 million in Operating and Maintenance (O&MN) funding for DOD Combatant Commands (COCOMs). She’s also responsible for the Operation Iraqi and Operation Enduring Freedom supplemental funding for the COCOMs and activities under the cognizants of Field Support Activity.
Prior to serving as a Financial Analyst at FSA, Ms. Trent held the position of a Senior Program Analyst at the Naval Sea Systems Command (PEO Ships/ AEGIS Program) for 18 years. She has received her certification in Department of Defense Acquisition Program as a Level III (the highest level) in the Business Cost Estimating and Financial Management career field.
She’s active with her local church and children’s school and has taken on the responsibility of mentorship with a Navy intern. Ms. Trent currently resides in Upper Marlboro, MD with her husband and two children.
AIR FORCE – Patricia "Pat" Corey
MARINE CORPS – Astrid Diaz
COAST GUARD – Stella Whitsell
CORPORATE / RETIRED – Ms. Rita Finney
Ms. Finney has played an active role in supporting the ASMC’s mission to improve military comptrollership across many facets including budget, cost, accounting, and finance. For the past 9 years, Ms. Finney has served as the ASMC National Capital Region PDI Treasurer / Finance chair and has also assumed the duties of the Sponsorship Chair over the past four years. Her support and hard work was recognized by the Washington DC Chapter in 2013 when she received the Distinguished Service Award.
In March of 2013 and 2014, the Washington DC Chapter hosted its annual National Capital Regional PDI event at the Ronald Reagan Building with record breaking attendance each year. Ms. Finney played a key role in recruiting other corporate sponsors for the event. Having established a working relationship with past corporate sponsors, Ms. Finney was able to secure additional corporate sponsorship for the Regional PDI which completely covered the expenses of all government attendees. This allowed government attendees to participate at no cost, a tremendous feat in this time of budget austerity and training cuts.
Ms. Finney is also involved in the planning, organization, and execution of the annual ASMC-AGA Golf Tournament each July at Fort Belvoir. Through active sponsorship solicitation, she has ensured this event has been profitable since 2009.
WEB MASTER – Mr. Wayne Whiten, MAOM, CFE, CICA, CDFM-A
Mr. Wayne Whiten is an efficient and effective financial manager with 34 years of experience. He served 20 years on active duty in the U. S. Army. Currently, he is a Principal and Project Manager (PM) supporting numerous customers in the Department of Defense, other federal agencies and the Commercial sector. Mr. Whiten demonstrates rare abilities, skill sets, and attributes in logistics, finance, information technology, and manpower. He is a proven leader, Certified Defense Financial Manager with Acquisition Specialty (CDFM-A), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Certified Internal Control Auditor (CICA), and registered/licensed Private Investigator (PI) who understands the significance of strategic planning, guidance, and implementation from the business, employee, customer, and strategic partner prospective. He is proficient and knowledgeable in business and employee ethics with extensive knowledge of Planning, Programming, Budgeting, and Execution System (PPBES). Mr. Whiten articulates both the logistics and financial aspects of requisitioning, budgeting, formulating, allocating, funding, programming, and material return procedures from cradle to grave. He is the recipient of the 2011 ASMC Washington Chapter Distinguished Service Award and 2006 CALIBRE Distinguished Service Award. Mr. Whiten has a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and Master’s degree in Organizational Management. He is a member of: The American Society of Military Comptrollers; The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, and is the past and present Registration Chair for the ASMC Washington Chapter National Capital Region Professional Development Institution.